Students in Pre-first at the School of the Cathedral is a unique hands-on program designed for the child who requires a challenge beyond the traditional kindergarten program. At the School of the Cathedral, the Pre-first program offers a blend of kindergarten and first-grade elements with the objective to help students:
- Grow spiritually, intellectually, physically, and morally.
- Provide an environment rich in materials so opportunities are available for the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learner.
- Promote opportunities for creative and oral expression.
- Help students develop problem-solving skills.
- Provide instruction and curriculum that increases the rigor in the classroom and best prepares our students.
Found below is a listing of the areas of study with example content and essential skills.
- Review Kindergarten Skills: Orton-Gillingham Program
- Introduce beginning first grade: Journeys series
- Saxon and online supplemental materials
- Use differentiated teaching to meet the varied levels of learning
- Use small group and whole group instruction
- Review Kindergarten skills: My Math Series and online supplemental resources
- Introduce beginning first-grade math standards: Envision Series
- Use differentiated teaching to meet the varying levels of learning
- Use small-group and whole-group instruction
- Multi-curriculum approach to coincide with the NGSS and AoB Standards
- Enrichment Topics include: Apples,Dental Health, Rain Forest, Pumpkin Science,Insects
- Multi-curriculum approach to coincide with the AOB standards
- Enrichment Topics include: Me Unit, Johnny Appleseed, Pilgrims, Dr. Martin L. King Jr., African-American Inventors , My Maryland and Social Behaviors
- Blest Are We: First Grade religion program focusing on the Bible and Jesus’ life
- Promote a personal relationship with Jesus through biblical stories, art activities, drama, and song
- Use active meditation and prayer to communicate and respond to God’s love