Providing service opportunities is an integral part of The School of the Cathedral’s curriculum. Christian service allows our students to practice what they are learning in the classroom.
Our Daily Bread
We are grateful for all the families who donate casseroles to Our Daily Bread. It’s simple: pick up a casserole pan in the school lobby, make it at home & freeze it, and then bring it in during drop-off on the date indicated.
Recipe for Casserole:
- 3 – 28 oz. cans baked beans (drained of all liquid) – vegetarian (no pork products)
- I – 10 oz. can tomato soup
- 2 – packages hot dogs (cut into bite-sized pieces) – NO PORK hot dogs – all beef hot dogs only, please!
- 1/3 package of chili seasoning mix
- Spray casserole pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour soup into casserole pan.
- Stir in chili seasoning mix and baked beans.
- Mix in bite sized hot dog pieces.
- Cover with foil – no plastic wrap!
- Mark CMOQ, date, and “Hot Dogs & Beans” on foil
- Place in plastic bag securely tied before delivering to CMOQ drop off site.
There is no need to bake the casserole because that is taken care of at Our Daily Bread on the serving day.
Every November the entire school participates with the parish in collecting food for the Immaculate Conception Church on Mosher St. Annually, we make over 150 Thanksgiving dinners, plus a dozen bags of food for their food pantry.
Christmas Adopt-a-Family Drive
Every December the entire school participates with the parish in collecting toys and other items for the Immaculate Conception Church on Mosher St. Hundreds of toys, hats, scarves, gloves, and goodies are collected to help complete people’s Christmas holiday.
Stars & Stripes
Stars & Stripes is a school spirit program that focuses on students serving in their school community as well as their Baltimore community. Middle School students are placed on either the Stars team or Stripes team at the beginning of their 6th grade year. Each team has a captain and the captains are in charge of planning events with administration. Events range from service events to games. Past projects include the following:
- Collecting Box Tops
- Making ODB Casseroles
- Team-building activities and sports games
- Collections for Immaculate Conception (Thanksgiving and Christmas)
- Collection for CARES Food Pantry (Lent)
- Participation at the Cardinal Cup (partner event with Mother Seton Academy)
- Raffle ticket selling (supports the Cathedral Ball)
CARES Food Pantry Lenten Collection
Every Lent, the School of the Cathedral community brings in items each week to donate to CARES Food Pantry. CARES is located very close to Cathedral, and their organization supports people in need in our direct area. We’re grateful for our community’s support!
Each April, the School of the Cathedral hosts the Annual Cardinal Cup race. The funds are directed to our sister school, Mother Seton Academy. Families of both school come out and support this annual tradition!